In August 2011 an intergovernmental group in the Homewood-Flossmoor area was formed with the goal of sharing information and resources to promote sustainability in the two communities. We worked cooperatively to carry out a number of initiatives including recycling events, community cleanups and advocating for the adoption of practices to ensure clean air and water, such as the No Idling and Ban the Straw programs.
Today, the group has grown to include communities outside Homewood-Flossmoor and, in 2019 changed the name to the Chicago Southland Green Committee to reflect that expansion.
The Chicago Southland Green Committee is comprised of:
- Dave Ward, Homewood-Flossmoor Park District
- Bryon Doerr, Homewood Public Works
- Village of Flossmoor
- Margaret Novak, Homewood Public Library
- Deborah Hampton, Flossmoor Public Library
- Tom Wagner, Homewood-Flossmoor High School
- Ernie Ratowitz, Flossmoor Green Commission
- Carrie Malfeo, Village of Park Forest
- Jennifer Quirke, Village of Homewood
- Kevin Keane, School District 153
- Joel Nightingale, Prairie State College
- Pam Abbott School District 161
- Susan Gowen, Olympia Fields Beautification Committee
- Laura Brennan-Levy, Village of Flossmoor
- Pam Abbott, Flossmoor School District 161
- Alex Bazan, Village of Park Forest
- Rob Gunther, Village of Park Forest
Photos of yourself or your group can be submitted to email@example.com, with the subject line titled “CleanUp Photos 2021” . Visit our Community CleanUp page for more information!