In August 2011 an intergovernmental group in the Homewood-Flossmoor area was formed with the goal of sharing information and resources to promote sustainability in the two communities. We worked cooperatively to carry out a number of initiatives including recycling events, community cleanups and advocating for the adoption of practices to ensure clean air and water, such as the No Idling and Ban the Straw programs.
Today, the group has grown to include communities outside Homewood-Flossmoor and, in 2019 changed the name to the Chicago Southland Green Committee to reflect that expansion.
The Chicago Southland Green Committee is comprised of:
- Dave Ward, Homewood-Flossmoor Park District
- Bryon Doerr, Homewood Public Works
- Nickie Brookens, Village of Flossmoor
- Margaret Novak, Homewood Public Library
- Deborah Hampton, Flossmoor Public Library
- Tom Wagner, Homewood-Flossmoor High School
- Ernie Ratowitz, Flossmoor Green Commission
- Carrie Malfeo, Flossmoor Green Commission
- Jennifer Quirke, Village of Homewood
- Kevin Keane, School District 153
- Joel Nightingale, Prairie State College
- Joan Mahler School District 161
- Susan Gowen, Olympia Fields Beautification Committee
Want to get in touch? Please Contact Us!
Read our mission statement here!